Friday, September 10, 2010

Crowded House review

Last night I had the chance to check out Crowded House at the Fillmore. Being the casual fan of their music I went in only knowing their radio hits. For those who can't remember what those are, the big ones were Something So Strong, Don't Dream It's Over, and Better Be Home Soon. While I was expecting to mildly enjoy myself while waiting for the few that I knew, I found myself pleasantly surprised. They have continued putting out a bunch of albums with lots of great music. They showcased a bunch of newer stuff last night with a few classics for good measure. Other than the obligatory hits, one of the ones that really stood out was Four Seasons In A Day. It showed the skill of Neil's songwriting, which is highly underrated.

The band sounded great too. I didn't catch the name of their new drummer but he was giving it his all the entire evening. Crowded House doesn't have the most complicated drum riffs, but his energy made up for it. Each member seemed to switch instruments all through the evening, playing keys, synth, piano, tambourine, and whatever else they could get their hands on.

Whiile most of the songs weren't high energy, the band really felt like they still enjoyed playing with each other and didn't sound like they were worn down with it being the final show of their tour. They played for two hours, did a bit of psychedelic rock, pop, ballads, and the crowd loved nearly every second of it. The only down part was a new song that Neil sang with his wife. Other than that, it was a solid show. I definitely got my ten dollars worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment