Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bob Dylan in Casper Wyoming

I was really excited to find out that Bob Dylan was touring this year since I missed him last year. Sadly, he wasn't coming to Denver on this leg of his tour, so we had to head out to Casper, Wyoming to see him. It was definitely worth the drive. John Mellencamp opened the show and was absolutely awesome. I had a chance to see him at Farm Aid too, and he still sounds great. He opened with Pink Houses, sang Scarecrow, and a bunch of other hits packed into his 50 minute set. His band is solid and their fiddle player is top notch. The only concern I have is for his health. This is the second time in a year that I got to see him and he looked tired and couldn't stop coughing. This means one thing. See him now before he is no longer touring. You will be glad you did.

After Mellencamps set ended, it was time for the legendary Bob Dylan. Bob fucking Dylan. On the way to the show I told my fiance that I really wanted to hear two songs...Rainy Day Women and All Along the Watchtower. Dylan opened with Rainy Day Women and closed with Watchtower. He also played Highway 65, Lay Lady Lay, Lovesick, and several others in a way only Dylan can. Oh, and somehow we were about 10 feet away from the stage. Dylan rocked on organ, harmonica, and guitar and made me feel thankful to be witnessing such a legend so closely. Dylan to me is a once in a lifetime event, and anyone that gets the chance to see him should be thankful to be witnessing the greatest songwriter to ever grace a stage. I do have to warn you though, if you go to his show do not expect to hear his songs the way they were played on the radio. Dylan plays songs the way HE wants to play them at that moment, not the way they were recorded. It keeps each song fresh for him. I really can't blame him, I mean would YOU want to sing Like A Rolling Stone the exact same way for 50 years and thousands of shows? Probably not. This show was one of the biggest honors of my life and I am grateful to witness such greatness so close. That memory will last a lifetime for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment